Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Danger of Smartphones

Looking up and down the streets of downtown Los Angeles, it’s hard to go a single moment without seeing someone with a smart phone in hand.  This technology has seemingly been fixed to the palm of our hands with some sort of super glue.  While advances in communication devices have undoubtedly changed the speed of consumer interaction for the better, I fear that smart phones such as the iPhone, Blackberry, and Android devices have replaced canines as man’s best friend.  While an increasingly shrinking world has given us innumerable advances, new technology has taken away something that cannot be suitably recreated or replaced: the essential nuances and qualities of simple face-to-face interaction.

The modern smart phone has given people the ability to keep in constant contact with their family members, their employers and their closest friends, regardless of the vast distances between the two, but is that such a good thing?  While constant contact means quicker transmission of communication and event planning, the idea of always being “linked in” is somewhat chilling.  Often times I find that the most serene moment of my day is in the waning minutes of the night between when I turn off my cell phone and when I go to sleep.  There is something very peaceful about not being able to be reached.

An increase in the amount of smart phone usage coupled with an expanding social media market reflects an increase personal fear about being out of the loop – or left behind.  Public insecurity, as I like to call it, is fueled not by the desire to know more, but to not know less.  Certainly the increased time spent on these devices does indeed augment the number of people that we can be in conversations with at any given time, but I question the value and legitimacy of any conversation that takes an hour when a face-to-face interaction could have settled any dispute in a matter of minutes.

For many, these new-fangled devices offer an ever-present portal to the world of social media, for which I am beginning to develop a bad taste in my mouth towards.  Social media has the potential to be an overwhelmingly useful tool when it comes to keeping in touch with long lost friends, but I fear that websites like Facebook and Twitter have become social replacements as opposed to social supplements.  So often I notice that people sitting side by side in a dorm room will be sitting lazily on their chairs or beds perusing their friends’ Facebook pages, when they easily could be talking to one another.

Looking forward, I see a dichotomy taking form.  There are many people who are embracing social media, who marvel in the vast potential that such networking websites offer.  And yet there remain the conservatives, people like me who prefer traditional forms of communication and miss the more personal elements of regular face-to-face conversation.  Within this dichotomy lie two inevitable ends.  Either social media and smart phones will inevitably change the way that the world operates forever, or a counterculture will develop that lashes back against the scarily fast-developing new technologies.  I hope for the latter.

Along with this trend of ongoing social media and smart phone usage seems and increase in complacency and stagnation.  Too often I see my friends locked indoors, their eyes glued to their computer screens – when the weather is beautiful outside.  While I by no means claim to be a woodsman, or to have a gymnast’s body, the sight of people indoors on a sunny day irks me.  Moreover, I become genuinely confused as to just what it is that draws people ever closer to their computers and devices than the allure of nature.  Perhaps everyone else sees something that I don’t, but I think that if this trend continues, we can expect to live in a world very similar to that in the Pixar film, Wall-E.

6 comments:

  1. This was the exact topic of conversation that my friends and I were discussing a couple of days ago. The more advanced technology gets the less we are in tune with ourselves. It would be naive to say that technology, especially the development of the smart phones, have not altered the way we interact with one another. We practically have the world in the palm of our hands with just a click away. It would be hypocritical of me to say that I'm one of those people who refuses to buy in to this craze. I'm not. I own a smart phone and I'm practically checking for twitter updates or texts all the time. Sometimes I wish things would be much simpler. For instance instead of calling someone nowadays, people prefer to tweet or write on your wall. When will it stop? Who knows. I agree with you in that there might be a counterculture out there forming that will go against these technological advances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a scary statistic out there along the lines of like 50% (or something ridiculous) of those with smartphones keep their phones no more than 1 yard away from them so it is within arms reach. I am not going to lie I am a culprit and always have my cell phone near me. My phone is my life and I do everything on it from tweeting, Facebook, email, even online shopping.
    Society, at least in first world nations, have become way to dependent on modern technology and cell phones. You see kids as young as 8 walking down the streets with cell phones, which I think is a bit crazy but what do I know. It is a bummer they won't be able to experience just playing outside until it was dark thanks to cell phones, TVs, and computers.
    It will be scary to see what happens next in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what I am dreading that I am becoming, a technology freak... it is hard for me, and many others, to just let the phone out of the hand, we are all scared of missing out what is around us. I think it is all because of the social medias we have around us. It is the news that are spread so quickly, the facebook notifications and the tweets that drives us to our technology. This is a time when we all can and want to be first with all the information (the is now so easy to get to), and share that information so more people will find out about it. It is hard today to go unknowingly about a news event...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think having a smart phone is a double-edged sword. While it is fantastic to get directions, restaurant recommendations, and take photos instantly the degree to which I rely and am dependent on my smart phone is ridiculous. When I leave it behind by accident I feel like something is missing and when I can't find my phone I am frantic. However, those times that I am able to disconnect and separate I feel liberated and relaxed. The scary thing is that as the technology becomes more and more advanced the level of dependency will continue to rise as well and I fear that in the future no one will ever truly be able to disconnect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have witnessed the rapid growth in technology and dependence of these smart phones and devices over the last 10 years. The days of face to face conversations are slowly diminishing due to mobile technology which simply makes almost everything more convenient. But like the previous commenters stated, where do we draw the line of when the smart phone acts as a tool for convenience and when it becomes an addiction?
    I remember the days when I used to knock on people's doors if I wanted to talk to them or hang out, but now kids can easily do the same from the comfort of their rooms. Not only is it scary that today's youth is ultra dependent on this technology, they are the first generation growing up where the virtual world is a priority for communication.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post, as technology continues to develop, I'm sure more and more people will realize the drawbacks of it. Smart phones and social media sites are an amazing tool indeed for many people, as you can instantly contact anybody, from anywhere. However, I think the best solution is for people to simply understand that a healthy medium needs to reached in regards to technology use. Knowing when it's appropriate to use texting and social media versus a phone call or face-to-face interaction seems to be key here. I think a perfect example of this is when people use texting to try discuss something serious, or to resolve some sort of argument or dispute. A huge portion of communication depends on body language and other queues, such as a tone of voice. With texting and social media, this aspect is lost. Because of this, sometimes texting can actually make fights worse because each person's attitude or tone is misinterpreted.

    ReplyDelete