Saturday, October 1, 2011

What Would You Do?

I recently discovered a show on ABC called What Would You Do?, where host John Quinones examines how passerby's react to uncomfortable situations.  An interesting segment that I watched was a scenario where a driver hits a parked car while parallel parking and then walks away, seemingly unaware of the damage caused.  Some passerby's on the street did nothing, while others went so far as to hold the person under a citizen's arrest and then proceeded to call the police.

What is interested about this scenario is that it is a reflection of the battle between personal and community justice.  Some people felt that they had no obligation to the victim of the damage car and thus made no effort to stop the getaway.  To them, an intervention would have been an injustice to them, as their obligation to the victim does not exist.

Others, however, felt an obligation to the victim and made an effort to make the perpetrator cognizant of the wrongdoing.  When the perpetrator seemed not to care, some passerby's gave up while others pressed the issue.  Such is an example of the spectrum of social responsibility people have.  Passive subjects think: "Sure, it would benefit society if everyone was punished for their wrongdoings, but why is it my obligation to make sure vigilante justice is served?"

Especially with a faceless victim, why confront a person and force and uncomfortable encounter?  Not my problem, many would think.

I'm not sure I have an overall message or that there is some great takeaway, and the program didn't really have one either (which I found mildly disappointing).  I found the segment an interesting cross-section of the topic of social responsibility and how people act when they think no one is watching them.

6 comments:

  1. I've seen the show before and it certainly is interesting to see the huge variation in how different people react to seeing situations such as the the driver hitting a parked car. It's a great example of some of the classic psychological phenomena, like the bystander effect - where the greater amount of people present witnessing an event, the smaller the chance that any one individual will intervene. It's definitely a good jumping off point for a discussion on what the moral duties of individual citizens are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Additionally, it's hard to say what exactly the duty of individual citizens are in specific situations. I can understand why some people intervene - because they feel that stepping in and helping is is the right thing to do. However, I can also see why others would feel inclined not to intervene (even if they feel it is the right thing to do), for example, fear of being hurt by the person they are confronting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just today I saw a guy stop his truck and tend to a man that was laying on the sidewalk. There were so many people that just walked by and didn't do anything. I saw this scene from a distance and it was such a great example to me. When people act in a charitable fashion, it sets a good example for me. I think the next time I see someone in need of help, I am more likely to do it as I remember the kind gentleman's example.

    I have also heard things that almost deter me from helping. I know someone who was sued for helping someone. There are so many situations that can push you either way, but deep down inside, I don't feel like I can go wrong by doing something right. And to me, the right thing would be to help. I just hope I have the courage and selflessness to do it when it is difficult to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many things that play a role in someone's decision on whether or not they should intervene. The way the person looks (would I be able to control them is they get mad and out of control), safety (for me and the person being confronted), gravity of the situation (how serious the situation is). While that does all play a role in the decision, you're right that most people would have that "it's not my problem" mentality. I think its just easier to ignore what you just saw and continue walking by. In public places there is often a diffusion of responsibility. Everyone thinks that someone else would step up in the situation and help out, and in the end more likely than not no one will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have watched the show on many occasions and people seem to always surprise me with their reactions. As you pointed out some of the people go to extremes to do the "right" things, while others don't even lift a finger. How do we determine the right amount of "social responsibility?" This is a complicated question and each person will have a unique answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very interesting show in the sense that we could literally watch people's reactions to common controversial situations. I've watched several episodes which present issues such as abortion and illegal immigration, and let me tell you that the reactions of the test groups were shocking. Like some of the others have stated, there are the people who sit there and observe and others who take action immediately. As C.S. mentioned, how do we determine the right amount of social responsibility? I guess its one of those questions that can only be answered in the heat of the moment when people feel the responsibility to help others in need. Interesting read.

    ReplyDelete